Cedar wood oil is derived from Juniperus virginiana, also known Cedrus deodara belongs to Cupressaceae family. Cedar wood tree well grows in damp area, where fungus, microorganisms and insects subjected to destructive conditions. Cedar tree is native to Pacific North West of North America as it commonly grown in cold climate, found in high altitude. Cedar wood oil has many benefits for medicinal, industrial and perfumery purposes.
Cedar wood oil is extracted from wood of Cedrus deodara tree through steam distillation.
Cedar wood oil is pale yellow to light orange in colour; it provides provides cooling and soothing sensation.
Cedar wood oil is composed of mainly: α-cedrene, β-cedrene, cedrol, widdrol, thujopsene and other sesquiterpenes.
Cedar wood oil is well blends with other essential oil such as bergamot, lime, lavender, cypress, cinnamon, frankincense, rosemary, neroli, rose, jasmine, lemon, benzoin, and juniper.
- Cedar wood oil treats eczema as it cures inflammation on skin and help in treatment of dry, red, itchy skin that can blister or crack.
- It stimulates the hair follicles & hair growth and increase circulation to the scalp.
- Cedar wood oil has anti-septic property as it helps in wounds, sores and infection.
- It is effective against inflammation in joints and tissues, help in arthritis as it minimizes the joint stiffness.
- It is used for treatment of spasmodic conditions in respiratory, muscles, intestine, heart and nerves which causes asthma, respiratory seizures and leg syndrome.
- Because of its pleasant aroma, it is used in perfumery, vaporizer or in body sprays.
- It has detoxifying property so helps out in urinary tract infection, water retention and kidney issues.
- Cedar wood oil helps in improving focus and wisdom [ADHD] in children.
- It is used to reduce cough and congestion from respiratory tract, lungs.
- Cedar wood oil is natural bug repellent as it drives away mosquito, flies and insects.
- It improves functionality of kidney and liver, used as toner for overall heath.
- Cedar wood oil alleviates obstructed or irregular menstruation.
- It is used to cure toothache and provide strength to gums.
- It is used in aromatherapy as it has sedative property because of its soothing and cooling effect, it helps in treatment of chronic anxiety, stress and depression.
- It cures acne by tightening facial muscles, protects skin pores from harmful bacteria and provides youthful appearance.
- It helps in tightens or hardens the loose muscles so used for treatment of diarrhea and other digestive issues.
- It increases frequency of urination and remove toxins from the body.
- Undiluted cedar wood oil may cause irritation on skin.
- Do not use cedar wood oil while pregnant.
- It can cause vomiting, nausea and thirst; it causes extensive damage to digestive system.